This post about the B&O Island park, published on November 8, 2011 was the second most viewed post in 2013! Last year, Steam at Harper’s Ferry Press released its first “Calliope Romance” steampunk tale called “Of Steam and Spring” about Hilltop House and the B&O Island Park. It is available at Amazon.com in Kindle format and at the gallery in print featuring illustrations by Kasey Hendricks.
The B&O Island Park
Not much is known about the B&O Island Park which was opened in 1879 by Baltimore and Ohio Railroad as an entertainment destination for its employees. But here are some interesting facts:
- The park was established on Byrne Island which is located in the Potomac River and is considered part of Maryland. The B&O railroad bought the island in 1878. It was expanded in 1890 and was then named “Island Park.”
- The park operated from about 1879 to 1909.
- It was also used for political conventions and meetings.
- The only known remaining artifact from the park is the bandstand, also known as the Town Gazebo, and is located in Historic Harper’s Ferry.
The Jefferson County Museum has at least three post cards showing the footbridge from Harper’s Ferry to the Island Park. The post card titles are:
- View from Island Park Bridge, Harpers Ferry, W…
View original post 520 more words